St. Catharines

Heraldic Coat of Arms

St Catharines Coat of ArmsNo record is readily available that provides a description of the present coat of arms; however, it is generally accepted that beehive alludes to industry and productivity. The motto on the scroll includes Industry, referring to all forms of economic activity and productive occupations. Liberality refers to being free and generous and without prejudice.

The Sailing Ship

The Sailing Ship alludes to navigation. The forerunner to the first Welland Canal was the watercourse of the Twelve Mile Creek which enabled sailing ships to travel and be pulled by horses up the watercourse to the heart of our City. Subsequently, this early navigational course was developed into a canal and preceded three ship canals that followed a path through our City until the present day fourth ship canal.

The Cornucopia

The Cornucopia, commonly referred to as a Horn of Plenty, pertains to the rich agriculture and fruitlands abundant in the area.

The Millstone

The Millstone, (sometimes, and incorrectly, referred to as a grindstone) is symbolic of the grist mills and flour mills prevalent of an earlier era. These mills were built along the Twelve Mile Creek that provided an inexpensive and plentiful supply of water used to operate them.

The Steamship

The Steamship with Sails, relates to the ship building in the area by Mr. Lewis Shikluna, a builder of many fine sailing vessels and credited with helping to build a steamship that sailed the Atlantic Ocean to England. The early shipyards were located near the foot of Burgoyne Bridge; however, ship building has always been a thriving industry in the area, with shipyards at the former Port Dalhousie, on the Twelve Mile Creek, and the new modern facilities at the Port Weller Dry Docks.

The Colours

When the coat of arms is used on stationery, it is a solid color of light blue on a white background. However, no authentic document is readily available that states what colors, if any, are to be used.

The earliest known record of the origin of the City of St. Catharines coat of arms is from a by-law dated November, 1851, with the coat of arms affixed thereto. It would be reasonable to assume that the coat of arms came into being about this time.

In 1976, the coat of arms was officially registered with the Government of Canada, along with the city flower and city logo.

St Catharines FlagThe Flag of St. Catharines

The flag features the city Coat of Arms on a white field, surrounded by green bars. The green color symbolizes the fruitlands and extensive gardens of the city.

The Logo of St. Catharines

St Catharines logoThe St. Catharines logo (or seal) performs much the same function as a coat of arms. It is used as a means of identification or recognition, and has since supplanted the coat of arms for all official identification purposes.

In 1972, St. Catharines City Council adopted the design of The Chevron as its official logo. The chevron design represents past and present characteristics of the city – the four blue lines symbolically represents the four Welland Canals and the green characterizes the valuable fruitlands. The green is especially significant since St. Catharines has long been know as The Garden City.

Click here to view the statistics of St. Catharines

Map of Niagara Region

Country: Canada
Province: Ontario
Region: Niagara

Settled: 1783
Incorporated: 1845(town), 1876(city)

Government: Mayor Brian McMullan
Governing Body: St. Catharines City Council
MPs: Rick Dykstra
MPPs: Jim Bradley

Area

City: 96.11 km² (37.1 sq mi)
Urban: 382.68 km² (147.8 sq mi)
Metro: 1,397.50 km² (539.6 sq mi)

Elevation: 97.8 m (321 ft)

Population

City: 131,989 (Ranked 33rd)
Density: 1,373.3/km² (3,556.8/sq mi)
Urban: 308,596 (Ranked 12th)
Urban Density: 545.02/km² (1,411.6/sq mi)
Metro: 390,317 (Ranked 12th)
Metro Density: 279.3/km² (723.4/sq mi)

Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4)
Postal Code: L2M-L2W, L0S
Area Code: 905/289

Port Dalhousie

 Source: Statistics Canada